Monday, February 13, 2017

Feedback Focus

With the three of these strategies given for focusing on reading in general, I would have to rank reading aloud as my most utilized strategy and the google timer as my least favorite.  In the order that they were offered, funnily enough.  I ranked these the way that I did, because I already use reading aloud as my basis when trying to focus and understand a story.  Along with reading aloud I also combine the copy-and-paste strategy with it, except copying-and-pasting isn't how I focus.  I usually just read a story as a whole and then in sections, whether in paragraphs as written or just in particular sections that are helpful to me, and I comment on them immediately after reading it.  I do so in order to grasp the entire readings in specificity.  I'm not quite surprised as to how these affect my reading since I already do these, but the one that I don't exactly utilize is the timer.  I don't like the idea of the timer, and just by applying it to the readings provided, I felt like I was being rushed to finish at a certain time.  Because of the rushed feeling, I wasn't able to fully grasp the stories until I had to look back at the timer to see how much time I had left and if I had enough time, I would then begin to focus on the reading.  Re-reading a story after the timer would end up happening.

(Focus through a lense. Pixabay.)

I can't say that there is a big advantage or disadvantage of reading aloud.  To me it is a lot like silent reading, though when read aloud, the readings can be heard and would only benefit those that are unable to stick to one focus mentally as the mind can be full of many thoughts.  Reading aloud stops what a person is doing and provides multiple outlets of focus and not just one, such as reading with your eyes, mind and mouth rather than just the eyes and mind.  Splitting up a reading into sections can be advantageous in the comments that are being provided being it will come together in the end and add specificity to what is needed to be said.  A disadvantage in that is that, the general idea of a story can be forgotten immediately if separated and at the end of a story, things can change and cause an overall thought to be misconstrued or strayed.

I don't have any other recommendations on how to stay focused other than immersing oneself in a quiet room with no noise, just you and the reading.  That is something I notice that helps me stay focused and I'm sure that's anyone else also.  I wish I knew other techniques aside from these already listed, but they apply to me indefinitely.  I will have to say as well, that I enjoyed reading the Zoology 1114 story of Adam and Eve.  The story was brilliantly written metaphorically speaking and modernized rightly.  The writer portrayed the story in a way that I would not have thought of, while still keeping the morals and ideas of the original.  

No comments:

Post a Comment