Thursday, February 16, 2017

Storytelling Week 5: The Power of Four

There once was a cottage in the woods of Germany where a witch, Heather, raised her four children, Alder, Baker, Ginjer and Blake.  Two sons and two daughters, a set of twins each.  Being a single mother and her children still in training, she told her children a story of a scary creature lurking in the night.  She wanted them to be cautious of answering the door, especially when she was gone running errands.

"Alright, kids, I'm on my way to fetch us something to eat. Be sure to keep the doors locked and answer to no one." The kids nodded towards her as she gave them each a kiss on the forehead.  "On second thought, I will mark the door with a seal and if you hear my knock to the chimes of a song, break the seal to let me in."

Alder, the oldest, asked, "How will we know it truly is you?  Anyone can knock with a song."

"If you are uncertain, ask me a question about old Clementine.  I should know the answer and you will hear my voice." They then agreed and she went about her way to the shops in town.

All the while, the creature was crawling near, listening to their conversation.

(In the Woods.  Flickr. )

Hungry and curious about how these kids would taste, the creature decided to go to a witch in order to transform into a human.  Unbeknownst to him, the mother and both twins were a family of warlocks and witches...

Crawling towards the witch's home he stood in front of the door.  "Witch!  I have a request to make!" 

The witch opened the door. “Oh?  Look what we have here.  What might that request be?” she asked him.

“I want to change my appearance to become human, but not my hunger for humans,” the creature demanded.  The witch then requested, “In return, you will give me your soul.”  And the 
creature had no choice but to accept if he truly wanted the children.

The witch changed him into a human.  He then went to search for Heather.  Not so used to being human, the creature struggled with his senses.  Unable to scout the mother with just a sniff, he kept looking. 

An hour passed and he finally found her in a market picking vegetables and fruits.  He had the idea to seduce her in order to trap them in their home, once he got close to her.

He picked up a ripe apple, paid the vendor upfront and took a bite.  “Mmm…these apples are quite delicious.”  He breathed in through his nose while chewing and smiled at Heather, who was standing next to him.  

She glanced back at him, smiling. “Yes, they are.  If you like their apples, you should try their strawberries.  They're just as sweet.”

They conversed as she was still shopping, walking side by side.  Smitten, she invited him back home to have dinner with her family.  Of course he agreed instantly.


~~~

As the sun was setting, they arrived back at the house.  Heather knocked on the door with the melody and Alder asked the question about old Clementine.  She shouted a German word only they would understand.

Alder opened the door and they ran, hugging their mother.  “You’re finally home!” Baker shouted gleefully.  

“Yeah!  We’ve been waiting forever!” Ginjer snapped at her.  

“Alright, alright.  I’m home now.” She gestured them to settle down.  “Well, I want y’all to meet…I never got your name,” she pointed to the creature.  

“Ah…just call me Taylor,” he nervously replied.

She smiled and said, “Say hello to Mr. Taylor everyone.  Be nice.”  She headed to the kitchen and began prepping for dinner.  Ginjer and Blake helped her while Alder and Baker entertained ‘Mr. Taylor.’

Taylor, growing impatient, finally grabbed Alder and Baker and bolted out of the house.  Heather realized what happened and chased after them with Ginjer and Blake. 

“Stop right there!” Heather sent a jolt of magic to stun Taylor.  Feeling uneasy, she shouted a revealing spell and turned him back into the creature.  “I knew it!”  The creature got back up and bolted toward Heather, jumping and biting her. 

Terrified, the children screamed and as they did, an aura formed around all of them.  Their powers were coming into light.  Though the youngest of them all, Blake reached her hand toward the creature and sent an electric shock stunning him even more; she was the first to reveal her ability to emit and control electricity.  Ginjer then lifted the creature without a touch, revealing her ability to levitate objects, throwing him against a tree.  Baker walked to the creature and with one touch, he killed him with the ability to emit pain, however and whenever he wanted.  Alder, although the oldest, was the most confused as to why he couldn't control anything. 

Crying, Alder walked up to his mother, picked her up and held her dearly.  With just a hug, she awakened.  Surprised, Heather looked up at him smiling weakly. “Of course you would have the power to heal with love.”

They trod home.  Though disheartened by what had happened, the children had finally become strong and didn’t need their mother to protect them anymore.

Author's Note:  I wrote my story based on the original The Wolf and the Goat, about a goat mother and her four goat children.  The mother was leaving to run errands and told the kids not to open the door unless they saw her red hoof, but the wolf heard the entire conversation.  He painted his paw red and tricked the children to open the door for him, which they did.  He took three, while the fourth hid.  Once the mother came back, the fourth kid told what happened and she went on a search.  Upon meeting the wolf, she demands a fight and as they prep for battle, she decides to trick him into drinking water prior to the fight.  He falls for the trick and falls into the stream of which they drink, leaving the goats free of harm and from being eaten.
My version of the story shows a more mystical side.  Not quite a lesson learned, but overcoming fear, working together, and fighting out of love can triumph in the end.  Being a single mom is hard.  I may not be one, but I know that they are smart and raise strong children that can grow to become better and return the favor in treating their mothers with the respect and love they deserve.

Bibliography:  Persian Tales: The Wolf and the Goat translated by D.L.R. and E.O. Lorimer.  Link.

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this story! I loved how much you changed it from the original and gave it a fun, magical twist. Your description was good and you really conveyed how loving the mother was and what lengths she would go to protect her children. I thought it was cool how they actually found their own powers and had the chance to save her in the end. I was a little confused on if Alder and Anderson were the same person? You did a great job and I had a good time reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was definitely a tough one to recreate! Anderson is the exact same person as Alder, I just forgot to change it that time because I had switched names in the midst of writing! Thanks for pointing it out! lol

      Delete
  2. Overall a wonderful story and certainly it is your own take on the source material. The addition of a magical element was nicely done and presented. At first glance I thought the statements in bold, black lettering was a mistake until I re-read the story and I thought it was a nice touch to make things pop out to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really enjoy your writing style while reading The Power of Four. I think this is a great story with a lot of different writing techniques to offer so I wanted to first say well done.

    I think with stories like this it is so fun to read because there is this magical and whimsical aspect to them. I think it shows the power of love in so many different ways. Overcoming fear, working together, fighting for your loved ones I think these are fabulous themes that you have encapsulated in this story.

    What if you extending the ending just a little? I really think your version is amazing but I like the fact that there is this moment at the end with Alder and his mother where they are holding each other and I would love to see it elaborated. This story has so much happiness and thought to it, job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great story Avida! I loved reading this story and I really liked your writing style. I thought it was very interesting how you made so many changes to the characters from the original version of the story. You are very creative to think to change the characters from goats in the original to witches in your own version. It really made a great theme for the story and taught a lesson of trust and to not to think of a person a certain way because of how they look. The message was really great and I loved how the family worked together in the end and conquered through a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your interpretation of this story! I've heard the goat version before, but yours is really cute too especially with the children's powers all working together. I really liked how they had their own separate powers that contributed equally to bringing down the creature. What exactly is the creature though? It seemed very scary, but also smart and able to come up with a coherent plan about getting the children. I wish you had more descriptions of its physical appearance! Another thing I noticed was the part where you said it went to another witch to transform itself into a human. At first, I was very confused and thought he went to Heather's house and got her to do it. I think maybe you could make that more clear that this is another witch? Just referring to it as the witch's house was what made me confused so maybe you could say it was the other witch's house? Also, at the beginning when you said the mother told them a story about the creature, I thought this story was the story she told! But she was just telling them a separate story right? Maybe you could make that more clear too? Anyway, besides those small things, great job! I really liked the premise!

    ReplyDelete