Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Week 8 Reflections: Reading Notes

This class has opened plenty of doors for me in the reading department, since I don't get to read very much outside of school and work.  So far I've enjoyed a lot of the readings that I've chosen over the course.  I would have loved to find more options to choose from, though I just haven't found quite the right schedule to get into the zone.  Not the right rhythm either.  I basically just work with my surroundings.  Wherever I have to be or can find a decent place to work, like Starbucks or Barnes & Nobles, I do my readings and notes in due time.

(Reading and Notes.  Pexels.)

If I had to choose a specific reading that I enjoyed most, it would have to be between the last reading of Fox-Fire, The Man in the Moon, and The Tree of Knowledge.  I can't quite pick a specific reading that I enjoyed above all.  These have their perks and differences of why I like them the most.

Recently reading Fox-Fire, I didn't quite get to do a storytelling on that story combined with The Monkey King, just yet but I am planning to.  It's just something I can't pass up.  I'm hoping I can transform it greatly, because the way the story was told about the Elixir of Life just gets me thinking.  It gets me thinking in ways of how people can be so greedy in power and it happens in real life, that's the unfortunate reality.  I didn't realize that the Chinese had a fairy-tale about the fire fox as well, much like the Kitsune.  I want to incorporate that type of story into my own.  I've only heard the brief retelling of it in a T.V. series called, Teen Wolf.

The Man in the Moon is a lot of karma in one and not being appreciative of the little things that life has offered us.  It also conveys not appreciating the abilities that we have, just because of one thing we don't like about our lives.  The Tree of Knowledge in turn provides a sense of enlightenment.  As the story is of Siddhartha becoming Buddha.  We all want to understand and know what it is like to have reached that point.  Hopefully we do, but we know that not all of us can.  That's the interesting thing about this spiritual story, because there are so many chances that it offers us in reincarnation.  At some point we will be able to reach our own sense of enlightenment, whatever that may be.

(Reading like a Writer.  Pixabay.)

Aside from these readings, I definitely feel like I am reading like a writer and taking notes like one, because these notes do help me in my writing process.  Whether I stick to it or not, that's the beauty I find in these notes, they help me transition into something else if that's what seems better for me.  I don't always have to stick to my notes, they just help enhance my creativity.

Looking into the reading options for the next few weeks to come, there are plenty intriguing ones that I can't wait to dig into.  Some readings I've noticed from the Native American readings are the Alaskan tales about the Ravens and the Native American Hero tales.  The British and Celtic unit have many readings that have caught my eye, such as Alice in Wonderland, Beowulf, Robin Hood, King Arthur, and more of Aesop's Fables.  This unit will be difficult in choosing which story I will want to write about next.  The last unit of the European stories also peaks my interests the most of all as it has the Brother's Grimm tales and many tales from other countries.  These tales have been rewritten in modern-day, completely different compared to these originals.  It's exciting the read the originals and have our own take on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment