Thursday, April 6, 2017

Storytelling Week 11: Envy

Goldie here with an update on my current situation; it’s dark out and sprinkling.  Then again it’s always sprinkling here in Washington.  I’m turning 21 and supposed to graduate college this semester.

What’s holding me back?  I killed my step-mother.

~~~

AUGUST 2011 

High school is officially over.  Today's the first day of college and my dad's tripping out that I'm growing up too fast.

Even though I'll be going to college nearby, I'm actually more worried about how he'll be when I'm not home.  I know I'll get wrapped up in busy-work and working at my first job ever.  He's taken care of me so well.  I just want him to be happy and not alone.

OCTOBER 2011

I got what I wished for, but now I’m not so sure how to feel. 

Her name is Sylvia and she’s a receptionist at my dad’s firm.  First of all, I’m glad he’s found someone and he’s happy.  Secondly, I’m just not so sure how I feel about him dating someone that works for him.  It’s just too weird.  I mean, she seems nice from what he tells me, but still. 

This is the first woman he’s dated since I was ten.  My guard is up as much as I want him to be happy.  We can never tell with people these days, but I’m definitely intrigued to find out more about her.

Thanksgiving 2011

“Hi there!  I’m Sylvia, you must be little Goldie.  It’s so good to finally meet you.  I’ve heard so much about you.” She stands there with her arm stretched out towards me with her tote hanging off her other arm. 

“The pleasure is mine.” I smile wryly.  Behind her, dad widens his eyes at me.  I shrug back.  I can’t help my expressions, they just come naturally.

Thanksgiving 2013

Two years in at the University and my dad is still dating Sylvia.  I’m surprised they’ve lasted this long.  No offense to dad, but seeming how they’re constantly fighting when I’m around, I figured they would’ve broken up by now.

Hm…they’re walking towards me.  Oh no…it’s that look on dad’s face.  It’s the same look that he gives when he’s got bad news. 

They sit down on the couch across from me and begin explaining their love for me.  Then they hit me with a big whammy.

“We’re getting married!!” Sylvia screeches in excitement.  Oh…  

It was just the beginning of a horrible nightmare.

MAY 2014

*ding dong, ding dong* The wedding bells chime.  I finally have a mom…I shiver at the thought.  My grandmother and aunt, dad’s younger sister Eloise, are the most remotely close mother figures I have in my life.

As we wave goodbye to their departure from the church, Aunt Ellie nudges my left arm, “You think she’s after his money??”

“Aunt Ellie!”

“Well, someone’s bound to be thinking it.  I’m sure rumors have spread already.”  She laughs her maniacal laugh.

JUNE 2014

My dad’s been married for a month now and things seem to be sailing smoothly, except for the fact that my new mother is a raving bitch. 

I moved back in for the summer since I decided not to take any classes.  I asked them if it was okay, but I guess not. 

She’s been on my ass since the first week I moved in.


(Green with Envy.  Flickr.)


DECEMBER 2014

Christmas is close.  Aunt Ellie has been around more often.  I think she’s just as worried for dad as I am.  

A week before Christmas and we’re doing our annual tree-decorating-bonding-time.  “You know…your dad told me how Sylvia’s been acting lately.  He mentioned her being jealous of how he spoils you and takes pride in you…kind of strange if you ask me.”

I’m glad I wasn’t just thinking things.

FEBRUARY 2015

Valentine’s month and surprisingly I’ve met someone.  He’s amazing, but my new found evil step-mother won’t stop at nothing to ruin my relationship with him.

She’s always threatening me to come back home to help her with something or even using my dad as bait to get me to leave school.  She’s also preventing me from finishing my last semester.

Dad’s tried countless times to stop her, even threatened divorce.  His heart is too soft; he could never hurt her as much as he threatens her.

APRIL 2015

Something’s different in the air.

I walk inside the house, set my stuff down and head to the kitchen.  Sylvia’s sitting at the table holding a gun.

“Sylvia?  What is that?” 

“You have eyes don’t you?  I’m sick of you playing dumb and naïve.  You know damn well what it is and what I’m going to do with it.”

I bolt for the front door.  She chases after me firing the gun.  She misses.

I don't know what's gotten into her.  It's like a switch just flipped and she decided to go bat-shit crazy on me.  

I run out to the car and realize I left my keys inside.  So I run to the backyard. 

She creeps around to the back.  Hiding in the shed out back, I find a lug wrench.  I hear her inching closer so I hide by the door waiting for her to open it.

"Come out, come out wherever you are~~" she opens the door, looks to her left at me and I swing left, hitting her head.

She falls to her side.

PRESENT DAY

I’m supposed to graduate next month and turn 21 in two. 

I'm sitting in an ambulance, the police interrogating me.  Aunt Ellie is holding dad as he’s crying.  If only he knew. 

It all happened so fast. 

I was just a normal girl...she was just supposed to be my father's wife.  My new mother.

Author's Note:  I chose to write my story over Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree.  It is a very similar take to Snow White, yet different.  Gold-Tree is the daughter of Silver-Tree and the king. Silver-Tree asks a trout in a well about who is most beautiful and he says Gold-Tree is. Filled with jealousy and rage, Silver-Tree wants to eat her heart and liver.  The king doesn't let her by feeding her a goat's heart and liver whilst letting Gold-Tree marry off with a Prince.  Silver-Tree finds out when she goes back to the well after a year and from that point she attempts to kill Gold-Tree with a poisoned needle.  She thought she succeeded until the Prince remarried and his second wife pulled the needle out of Gold-Tree's finger, bringing her back to life.  Silver-Tree tries to come back and poison her with a drink, but as she tries to pretend to take a swig, the second wife hits the cup causing her to drink it.  It poisons Silver-Tree and they leave her to die.
In my take of the stories, though my reading notes attempted to convey a tad different story, I ended up getting rid of the second-wife, but leaving a snippet of the Prince's character in.  Rather than it being her mother, I made it closer to Snow White's tale of an evil stepmother and a father that the daughter is close with.  I kept a death in the story to have everything lead up to it.  Overall, the theme of jealousy and rage can get the better of people and I attempted to depict just what it can do, much like the original story.  And not only does it affect the person that it enraptures, but it also affects other people especially the daughter in this case, not being able to finish school.  I left a lot out in the open with this version, as to have readers curious to know more and wonder what just happened or what will happen next.  So I know there will be plenty of questions, I hope it is still an enjoyable read! 

Bibliography:  Celtic Fairy Tales:  Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree by Joseph Jacobs.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting and well written story! It's funny in your intro you mentioned something about a movie being a fast paced book but I felt you did a great job by making this seem like a movie! Great description and structure of events, I could feel the tone change from section to section. Also great job explaining the original story in the author's note. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Talk about an introduction- I couldn't stop reading from the very beginning. Thank you for sharing this story it's a very interesting spin on the original and it was done in a very creative way! I'm a big fan of diary style because you get to know exactly what the character is feeling and thinking without any prejudices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! one of my top ten favorite stories! I love how you made it like a diary and that it gave us all the back story we needed. The transformation you did with the story is amazing! It's making me want to actually read the original! I love the way you started it because it adds so much suspense to the story. Good job and I cannot wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this story! I love how you split it up into different entries, I think that this shows a lot of forethought into your story writing and it shows a lot of creativity in your writing too! I think it was done really well and makes the reader want to keep reading and make it to the end. It started on a great note that made me want to keep reading and that momentum kept me going until the end. Overall a great story and a great writing style-nicely done!

    ReplyDelete